Saturday 10 November 2012

manufacture process -woven ladies ring-


I began with two, 3mm thick, round bars of metal, as shown in the 1st image. I bent the bars of metal into ''S'' shapes, as shown in the 2nd image.


I domed the ''S'' shaped bars so that the piece isn't flat.


 I soldered the 2 domed, "S" shaped bars together.


The weaving technique I used was the basic, ''1 spine'' technique, which, as the name suggests, has 1 spine running through the whole strand. If you look carefully you can see the 1 spine that runs through the whole strand. The spine forms a continuous "s". The spine is the stability the keeps the structure together... I hope that all makes sense.


When the woven strand eventually got long enough I used my pliers to bend it around to take the shape of the domed "S" shaped bars. I proceeded to solder the woven strand to the "S" shape structure.

The final piece


The professionally photographed piece

No comments:

Post a Comment