Wednesday 5 August 2015

Weaving directly onto metal

Since I started using the weaving technique I have woven separate strands (as seen below) and then attaching them onto a structure, as a way to fill it up.

Silver and copper wire woven using the "inhlandla stitch"

What I have experimented with recently is creating a structure that I weave directly onto. This will eliminate the worry of soldering and other issues such as accidentally melting the wire. clean up will be made easier too.

The image on the left is the wire structure that I wanted to weave onto. The image on the right is the weaving as is began. As can be seen, the results are not favourable so I had to repeat this step one more time, paying attention to neatness of the wire, thickness of wire and separation of wire.
  • Wire thickness: 0.6 mm
  • Metal used: Sterling silver and copper.
I tried another experimental piece, this time I was careful with how I attached the wires to the thick wire structure and I was patient with each weave.

I started the process of weaving onto the piece for a second time. I went up until 9 levels or so. At this point I soldered another piece of wire to the original structure. This wire has 2 functions, it adds to the overall structure of the piece and it acts as a spine for the current weave.

  • Wire thickness: 0.4 mm
  • Metal used : Sterling silver and copper
I continued the weave from the second soldered wire. I wove up a further 5 levels and added a third wire which was used to  finish the piece off

No comments:

Post a Comment